Well we finished up TOT, Orientation Days and got the trainees safely to their host communities, woot!
Here I am up in Selenge aimag's capital, Sukhbaatar on Thurs, May 30. We were visiting the trainee's homes to make sure all of PC's requirements were met.
Heading to Shaamar soum to pick up some other PST staff members who were checking homes there.
Shaamar through the trees.

Having a little fun our last night of TOT.
The PST staff on Friday, May 31.
After picking up 46 trainees at the airport on May 31 at about 11:30pm, I took them to ger camp for the weekend. Here they are, waiting to put their winter bags on the luggage truck to be locked up at the PC office.
On Saturday, June 1, I took them on a hike up the mountain. This is looking back at the ger camp.
At the top, saying "byaslag!" (means cheese, what else!?)
With the group that made it to the top!
Of course there was an ovoo at the top.
A sudden wind kicked up and chill ripped over the mountain with rain in the distance so we headed back down quickly. When we got to the bottom, the sun broke through the clouds and set the mountains in fire.
On Sunday, June 2 I took the trainees into UB for the day. They got their first shots and got to play tourist, guided in small groups by current PCVs. Luckily there were enough "tour guides" that I got to have the afternoon off (which I spent napping on a friend's couch). Then on Monday, June 3, I took the trainees to immigration for processing then up to Darkhan, home base for PST 2013.
The trainers and I took the trainees on a sunset hike up to two of the monuments in Darkhan.
Looking down from the buddha towards the children's park.
Then on Tuesday, June 4, we officially kicked off Orientation Days with cultural performances, including how to receive a khadag, the traditional blue scarf.
I totally cried when she started playing, not only because it was beautiful but because it hit me that two years ago, dang near to the day, I was in the trainees shoes, hearing my first morin khuur (horse head fiddle) performance, seeing my first traditional dance performance. It was overwhelming to think about.
The LCFs introducing themselves, wearing traditional clothing.
Then there were the cultural differences skits, the funniest part of O-Days.
Sessions on safety, cultural diversity, PC policies, etc continued until Thursday. Then on Friday, June 7, we sent the trainees off to their host communities to meet their host families and begin their language learning & cultural integration. We (the trainers and myself) were sad to see them go after only a few days of interaction, but excited for them and the new experiences they'll be having. We were all very nostalgic for our PST experience!
And these are just pictures of the amazing thunderstorm that rolled in tonight (Saturday, June 8). Thunderstorms are rare here; this is probably only the 3rd one I've heard. It's little things like the sound of rain and thunder lulling me to sleep that I frequently miss about home, so I definitely appreciate it when it happens here! The clouds looked so cool rolling over and obscuring the mountains in the distance.
The same view, 30 minutes later.
Tomorrow (Sunday June 9) I will go with the medical team out to all the sites to drop off lost/forgotten items and just check in on the trainees, see how their first weekend has been. Super excited to see the sites, play tourist for a bit!


No comments:
Post a Comment