So I bought a 5K (11 1/3 lbs) sack of potatoes and despite my best efforts, I could not finish them off before they started sprouting. Usually I would only buy a few potatoes at a time, but lately the stores have been out of individual potatoes so buying a big bag was the only option. I had thought of splitting the bag with a sitemate but never got around to it. So what's a girl to do? Make TOMCTAЙ XYYШYYP (tomstai khuushuur, a kind of fried potato calzone).
This is maybe 3K of potatoes, post-scrubbing but pre-mashing. Traditionally the filling would be mutton with onion, although I ate the potato-filled version during training and they're on many restaurant menus.
Next make and roll out dough (flour and water), roughly 3 times the size of buuz dough.
Next, fill your dough. These mashed potatoes got fermented green onions (yum!). Other batches were left plain, some got Season All, and some even got cheese.
Then, the putzy part. Pinch the khuushuur shut and flatten. Gotta do it quick or the dough dries out which means the process goes very slow for just one person.

Finally, fry and enjoy. I pan fried mine, although traditionally they would be deep fried. I made four for dinner but three would have sufficed.

I made 20 khushuur that night, 60 total from all the potatoes. I par-fried the khuushuur I didn't eat and froze them, leaving me with quick and easy lunches/dinners for the next...year!?
No comments:
Post a Comment