Monday afternoon, all day Tuesday AND Wednesday morning was the aimag-wide teachers' volleyball tourney. I was able to play in 11 sets, of which we won 7. The ShKh ladies played twice more on Wednesday without me and ended up finishing 6th while the ShKh men took 3rd. Way to go guys!
All day Wednesday and Thursday morning the PCVs hosted an Active Learning seminar for the aimag's teachers. It was a lot of work, but I think they got a lot out of it. We really emphasized going beyond the Ministry-mandated textbooks to incorporate communicative methods, various activities to support multiple learning styles, immersion language learning, critical thinking and making students responsible for their own learning. We had hour-long large group sessions as well as 45-minute small group rotating sessions, which means the participants got tons of information in a very short amount of time. The participants seemed really excited about it so hopefully they can take it back to their classrooms and make some positive changes, as well as educate their fellow teachers (only one teacher from each school was required to come, although many schools had 2 or 3 in attendance).
Introducing the practical application activity: taking all the skills & strategies participants learned the day before and using a lesson from the textbook, make an Active Learning lesson plan.
Each PCV monitored a small group as they lesson planned.
Group shot at the end!
So now I am officially on school break, although I still have some side-project work to do. I am looking forward to catching up on a whole lot of nothing the next few days before the buuz-fest known as Tsagaan Sar hits next week. Mmmm, buuz. Can't wait to eat buuz until I explode! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment