Sunday, November 13, 2011

MOHГOЛ XOOЛ Part Deux

See what I did there? Even though I took French ages ago, it's been slipping back in. Whenever I can't think of the word I need in Mongolian but I know it in French, the French pops out. I did it all summer, and I'm still doing it. I've actually spoken sentences combining English, French and Mongolian. Crazy!

Anyway, on to the point of this post. Another Mongolian food recipe! This time, tonight's dinner: БУУЗ (pronounced "boats"), a steamed dumpling. Traditionally they'd be filled with mutton and onion, but my host sister taught me how to make veggie buuz this summer.


Make dough (flour and water) and let rest while finely chopping carrot, cabbage, onion and garlic. Season with a hint of salt.


Roll out the dough into a long tube, about 1 inch in diameter. Cut into 1 inch rounds.


Roll out into rounds (er, round-ish).


Fill with filling and pinch shut. No water or egg required unless your dough has started to dry. If you're making meat buuz, fill with a mixture of raw meat and onion.


My buuz, ready for the steamer. They aren't nearly as pretty as Mongolians can make 'em, but hey, I haven't had years of practice.


Steam (covered) for 20-30 minutes, until the veggies are soft and the dough is cooked (you can see the dough change color and texture).


Et voila! The finished buuz. I enjoy mine with some good ol' American condiments; not entirely authentic. I eat the other half of the batch the next day, as pot stickers (meaning I pan fry them so the bottoms are crispy but the tops are still soft. Delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment