Friday, July 18, 2014

Naadam #4

I had written off this Naadam for a slew of reasons: fourth time, UB insanity, tourists, needing tickets...But I am so happy I went!  The city was full of activities, from the Three Manly Sports of the actual Naadam to cultural events all week long throughout UB.

 Best of Classics, an outdoor performance of dance, opera and music with fireworks at the end!





 The city was decked out in national pride in the days leading up to the Naadam holiday.

 Look at 'em danglin' up there!

On Friday the 11th I went to the stadium with my friend (and new Response Volunteer) Donna.  She gave me a free ticket as a thank you for always including her in our sitemate happenings!  We started in the square for the procession of the Nine White Banners.








Five generations: M21, M22, M23, M24 and Response!

 The banners just outside the stadium, waiting to go in.

 
Grabbed some khuushuur before heading in.

 Got my ticket in hand!

The following are from inside the stadium, the parade, positioning of the banners, and cultural performances:












 After watching a bit of the wrestling we decided to leave the stadium and find the archery.


 Me, Chinggis and a cup of airag (fermented mare's milk).


 President Elbegdorj shooting!

 After he made a speech, he walked along the fence and greeted the crowd...AND I SHOOK HIS HAND!

 We left shortly thereafter and stopped into the new Dinosaur Museum to see Tarbosaurus Baatar.


 Then we went to yet another cultural performance in the square...

Followed by a light show and fireworks!

After all that excitement, I skipped out on Saturday's events.  Sunday was the Deeltei Mongol festival, showing off the national costumes:














 




 
We wore ours too!

It was a really great Naadam weekend, though it did drag on a bit too long (Parliament extended it two days, Monday & Tuesday, shutting the city down those extra days).  But it was really great to experience another Naadam, my first (during PST) and last cultural event in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment