Thursday, September 22, 2011

You Are Awesome

You are. Your support though the first stages of this process has been amazing. And when a surprising number of people asked if they could send care packages, I was really feelin' the love. I didn't know what items to request on the spot, so over the last week or so I've been making mental notes of things I could use, and of all the things I've been coveting in other PCVs care packages. You'll notice to the right that I've made two lists, one for luxury items and one for useful items. Betcha can't guess which is which. Ha! If you send food items, they must be non-perishable (it can take up to a month for packages to arrive) and put into Zip-Lock bags (in case a liquid item breaks open). As far as the books go, these should come from garage sales or the bargain bins at used book stores. Don't buy them new! I'd love any old magazines or newspapers you'd just be tossing anyway. Why books/magazines and office supplies? Because schools here don't provide students or teachers with ANY materials. And I'm not just talking small things like pens. Teachers provide their own paper for the printer/copier. And students buy their own text/workbooks (which is why a class of 30 may only have 4 books). So please send very unsexy but highly desirable office supplies. It's also a good idea to include (or email) a list of the items you're sending so I can tell if customs snagged anything along the way. Please don't send electronics or cash, it'll never make it to me. And nothing would make me happier than to find a couple pictures of you in those boxes. My walls are very bare. :( USPS has flat rate boxes that you can cram up to 20 lbs of American Awesomeness into. That's the best shipping option.

I'll post some of my (mis?) adventures in teaching soon. Much love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment