Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hello from my new home!

Well I made it through PST and am officially a PCV. Yeay! Here are some photos from my last few weeks of training:


A Buddhist shrine just outside Orkhon.




Buddha carved into the cliff; offerings on the table.


We had a picnic lunch in front of the shrine.


We hiked up the cliff to the OBOO (ohvoh), a kind of good-luck shrine.


One of our last get-togethers in Orkhon.


Playing pool outside.


The sunset on Solstice.




We taught our friend Hongra how to play beer pong on her birthday.


PCTs and host families in front of the school at our host family appreciation dinner (we cooked American dishes pot-luck style).


Jessica, Sara and I did a traditional Mongolian dance later that evening.

We said goodbye to Orkhon and went off to Darkhon for 5 days.


On our way out of town for the last (?) time.


Bye Orkhon! I had NO IDEA where I was moving to at this point. Terrifying!


The whole site placement announcements ordeal (yes ordeal) was exciting and frightening all at the same time. In Darkhon, there's a park that has a giant map of Mongolia in the ground. One by one, our names were called and we were led to stand on the spot where we were placed then given a packet of information about our city/soum and our HCA (Host Country Agency; where we're working). I remember being so nervous standing there, hands clasped, holding my breath, waiting for my name, watching my friends be scattered across this map, wondering if I'd be in a city or soum, a ger or apartment, the Gobi or the far West...I got so very lucky.

I've since moved to my new home, Choibalsan, in Dornod, the 4th largest city in Mongolia and the farthest Eastern province. I really love it here. I'm almost fully settled in and have been exporing my new home. School starts September 1, although I've already met most of my counterparts and some of the school's staff. I'm working on getting internet in my apartment; when that happens I'll be able to post more and respond to all of your emails/messages more in-depth. In the meantime, here's to Choibalsan!

No comments:

Post a Comment